The Communications Unit is one of the Units directly located under the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation. The Unit is normally headed by an Information Officer deployed from the Federal Ministry of Information and Communications.
Functions And Responsibilities
The Communications Unit of the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation performs the following functions among other things:
- Formulating and articulating a dynamic strategy for achieving effective press and public relations functions of the Office.
- Overall responsibility for projecting the programmes, policies, plans and activities of the Office through press releases and statements, press conferences, feature articles, pamphlets, brochures, posters, films, photos, journals and public lectures
- Monitoring of all shades of public opinion and reactions to the Office's plans, policies, projects and achievements by compiling summaries on daily basis, of all press comments in the news media about the Office and ensuring that clippings are cut and preserved as future reference materials
- Issuing rejoinders, where the need arises, on any adverse publications on the activities of the Office and answering press enquiries
- Organizing and covering familiarization tours and facility visit for both the media and interested members of the general public
- Inserting in the mass media, all advertisements, jingles and announcements for the Office
- Installing and maintaining complaints and suggestion boxes as a means of receiving feedback on the Office's activities
- Carrying out a post-campaign evaluation of the Office's enlightenment programmes in relation to its policies and projects
- Liaising with and reporting to the Federal Ministry of Information and general dissemination of information on policies of programmes and the Federal Government
- Any other duty assigned to the Unit by designated authorities in both the Office of the Head of the Civil Service of the Federation and the Ministry of Information.